Sunday, January 24, 2010

A much needed break

Hey Conan, I was thinking I wasn’t going to write in today but then I decided to anyway just a short one though too relax my mind from studying.  So like I said yesterday I am preparing for mid terms which start Tuesday and I’m really not looking forward too them.  I mean I understand that we are supposed to be retaining all this information so there is no reason why it isn’t fair to take this test.  My feeling is that we should not be taking these huge tests, which ask us to remember everything we have learned in the last 4.5 months of school, all within a few days of each other.  It’s just really unfair to us as students.  Another thing I think is that we aren’t really supposed to remember everything we have learned just the basics.  For instance, yes I should be able to find the total sum of the interior angles of a dodecagon (12 sided figure) but I should not have to have to do it 50 times, and I should not have to memorize all the equations because in real life you get notes.  I don’t think I will need to be able to do that in my future career, but even if I do I’ll have notes to help me through it.  The thing is that even you have notes; you have Q cards and little index cards to tell you what you’re promoting.  It seems that when I am in the “real world” I will be able to look up the equation and process necessary, not have it memorized.  So I am currently taking a break from my chemistry, for this test we are aloud to bring it a regular sized sheet of paper and have anything we want written on both sides, it cannot be typed or copied.  I can’t even imagine what this test is going to be like if I am aloud to write that much down.  Here is just a sample of how small I’m writing.








It is so ridicules.  The up side is that when you have midterms it’s a half day, and how it works is that there are two periods in the morning both an hour and 45 minutes.  So if I don’t have a midterm the second period I can leave early and vice versa for the first period, if I don’t have any midterms I don’t have school.  That part is good because I will not have school Friday but it’s still a really tough week and I am not quite sure if the time off of school equalizes the stress and lack of sleep from the midterms themselves.  Midterms count as nine percent of your grade for the year and finals count as eleven.  That means that even if I get one hundred percent in every class for the whole year, getting a zero on the midterms and finals would leave me with a C for the year, that’s way to much leverage to base off of two tests.  Now its obvious that if you got a perfect score in every class you wouldn’t be getting zero’s on the midterm and final but that’s just my way of showing how much power those tests have and how out of hand it is.  Well Conan I have to go and get back to work, until next time

Austin

PS. Conan Read This!

No comments: